Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Gebran Tueni Quotes




Gebran Tueni (September 15, 1957 – December 12, 2005) was a Lebanese politician, famous for his editorials in the An-Nahar daily newspaper in Beirut, Lebanon. He was assassinated by a car bomb on December 12, 2005.

To access all 2005 editorials written by Gebran click on: http://web.naharnet.com/editorials.asp




The Oath of Independence:

"I swear to God As a Muslim and a Christian To defend my dear country ‘till the death And to stay united with my brethren (to stay muwahadeen) Until my last days on earth Defending my great Lebanon (Al A3zeem) "- (March 14, 2005 – during Lebanon’s biggest Independence March in Downtown Beirut. Marking one month exactly to the day of former Lebanese Prime Minister; Sheikh Rafik Al Hariri’s assassination)

Sourced:

"You must realize that many Lebanese are not at ease either with Syrian policy in Lebanon or with the presence of Syrian troops in our country..."- open letter to Lebanese leader Bashar Assad, published March 23, 2000,

"We are on the edge of a new era. It can be something completely positive for Lebanon, and it can be something completely dark for Lebanon. ... That's why we are really at a turning point where anything can happen..." -Associated Press interview, May 2000
This followed the withdrawl of Israeli troops from Lebanon.

Attributed:

"Don't think it is easy for anyone to be forced to live abroad, far from his country, colleagues, wife and children. But sometimes I think, maybe if I am far away I will spare them difficulties and problems. I would transfer the danger to somewhere else and I would not involve those I love..." - Interview with LBC television station

"Yes, there may be other attacks and assassination attempts. One of us may pay the price. Anyway, hopefully it will be us, not anyone else.
The Lebanese security authorities and the remnants of the Syrian system in Lebanon, and directly the Syrian regime from top to bottom, is responsible for every crime and every drop of blood spilled..."
"The Syrian regime is responsible from head to toe for this horrific terrorist crime. Lebanon's opposition should promptly close ranks anew to have every Syrian intelligence cell left behind in Lebanon ruthlessly smashed," June 2, 2005, following the assassination of colleague Samir Kassir

"It is time for us to put an end to our fear for which we paid a very heavy price, to face all the lies of the Syrian security regime..."-Dec. 1, 2005, editorial in An-Nahar

"The Syrian security regime should know ... that despotic regimes and tyrants who committed massacres against humanity were pursued, prosecuted and collapsed..."-Dec. 8, 2005, editorial in An-Nahar

The Father call at Gebran Funeral:

"I call on this occasion not for revenge or hatred but for us to bury with Gebran all our hatreds and to call on all Lebanese, Muslims and Christians, to unite in the service of great Lebanon and its Arab cause," Dec 14, 2005- Ghassan Tueni

The Daughter Cause:

"I, Nayla, daughter of my father Gibran, daughter of my grandfather Ghassan, daughter of my grandfather's father Gibran, I, the daughter of Tueni, am the daughter of freedom. I am the daughter of a martyr, and a martyr never dies..."
"In the names of all those martyrs I solemnly swear our freedom will never die...My father is not dead! He will live through me. I will be the eye of the rooster [An Nahar symbol] which will follow the murderer until the last grave, until we know the truth...An-Nahar will never die, Lebanon will never die...My father always wanted to die for his country and he did. I call upon you all never to forget the oath that he taught you on March 14."- Dec 14, 2005 Nayla Tueni

"We swear by God Almighty, Muslims and Christians, to remain united and defend great Lebanon forever and ever."

May God Bless his soul. (Allah Yirhamou)

Peace.

G.

No comments: